Monday, March 30, 2009

Cinderella dressed in amarillo



Last week we had culture day at school. The teachers taught us to dance and play some kids games. I of course couldn't dance at all but dominated jump rope.

A couple weeks ago I met my friend Julia and some of her friends at a beach house in Guanacaste. It was a really long beach with huge waves. We had to walk a few miles from the house every day but (being three gringas) we got rides most of the time.


This beach trip felt a little different for me. We had been at this really cool coffee shop for about half an hour when I suddenly just said, "I don't like it here." In this shop, no one spoke spanish, it even said, 'open' on the door. That's not terribly uncommon at the beaches or even in the city but it began to really bother me. There was absolutely nothing tico about this place. Everyone thinks of Costa Rica just as the perfect beaches and take away the culture. Going to the beach is bittersweet.

No comments: