Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Hole



This is in a community in Santiago, DR. It is built around this trash dump that is in and around the river. I was given the opportunity to work on the quite needed water purification system here. I also got a chance to explore a little on the other side of the river via this bridge,


I spoke with several people around the area that gave me some insight into the community and I also got a chance to talk with a pastor across the river. It was unbelievable to see the filth the people live in. You could also see where complete houses had fallen into the river. The man I am speaking to in the next picture had two or three family members lose houses to this foundational problem.Our last day we spent several hours teaching adults and kids health education. This is an awesome opportunity because a little information and clean water can prevent parasites and the like. I was in a skit showing the harmful effects of unclean water. The people in the picture represent germs from dirty water(like from the river).

No comments: