Thursday, October 22, 2009

Violence

1 in 3 women at UK are victims of violence.

Yet I am overwhelmed with optimism and hope for the safety of women on this campus. This semester I have come in contact with a group of people who before were to me just another organization at UK. Mission statements and goals abound in a university setting but I have finally found something different. The team at UK's Violence Intervention and Prevention Center recognizes the problem of violence and believes it can be reduced.

It's ridiculous. Perhaps you are so accustomed to believing that change can't happen, this doesn't mean anything to you. Let me reiterate. They speak and act as though what they do is going to change the injustice around them.

The 1 in 3 statistic is the same nation-wide. That doesn't keep them from seeking to change it on UK's campus. This just gets me excited. I have a research paper due and a mid-term tomorrow but I just can't stop thinking about this movement.

http://www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/VIPCenter/au_center.html

The website is very informative if you are interested in learning more.

No comments: