Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Xmas in Puerto Rico

We all love Christmas. I've been really excited this year to hear and read about a lot of folks who are really getting down to business with celebrating Christmas for what it's meant to be. Here are some of them:
http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-christmas-conundrum
http://ac.wcrossing.org/
I am ALL about Jesus. There is nothing that moves my soul more than a powerful rendition of Oh Holy Night. My favorite verse is, "Long lay the world in sin and error pining; Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth." It's like, finally the soul was satisfied! That's Christmas! But a lot of us, myself included are letting materialism take over! (No!) Puerto Rico is not unlike the U.S. in that a lot of folks have lost the true meaning of Christmas but what I love about PR is that they have a ton of awesome traditions for Christmas focused on spending time with people and enjoying each other. To celebrate God's coming to redeem this world I want to give, laugh, praise Him, sing, dance, and just be with my dearest friends, family and hopefully even more people.

I'm making a big effort this Christmas to get into as many Puerto Rican traditions as possible. Learning how to make Coquito is my first pursuit. Here's an intro to what will soon be a full blown lesson. Thanks to my friend Gabriela (Gaba) for helping me out!

No comments: