Friday, May 22, 2009

Father-Daughter Road Trip

Yep that's right. Last Sunday my dad and I hopped in the car and hit the open road. Our agenda was to visit a few seminaries, a BCM and a good friend. It was a fantastic trip, on the last stretch back home I mentioned to my dad that I didn't feel like we had arrived yet where we were going. It was too quick! I'll give you the highlights:

First Stop: Fort Worth, Texas
We stopped to visit the seminary he went to. The best part was him showing me an area downtown called the Water Gardens. There were all these cool fountains and a lot of open space. He used to spend time with homeless men in this area and have worship services.

Second Stop: Waco, Texas
Truett Seminary brought us here. The tour started at Starbucks where my guide bought me a drink and sat down and said, "Tell me about yourself." This conversation, like all that I have these days, ended up with me going on and on about the gospel and my excitement about being known and loved by God. It was so great to be given the opportunity to be heard and known.

Third Stop: College Station, Texas
The first sign of being in the home of the Aggies was a huge barn that had, "Gig 'em Aggies. Whoop. Whoop." painted on it's side. Dad and I laughed about this for a while and were later informed that "whoop" is more than a word, it's a lifestyle. (I have no desire to attempt at explaining this concept further) I was reunited with my friend Coach(Becca) and got to meet some of her friends.
The big event here was going to a bar and singing karaoke in front of around 200 Texans. I was so nervous that when I walked on stage my southern accent pushed it's way out as I said, "Hi I'm Peggy Ray and I've never sang karaoke before. This song goes out to all of you who are still in love. Don't give up hope!" Then I proceeded to sing from the depths of my soul the song Total Eclipse of the Heart. If you do not know this song, immediately go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840B27zYfOk It was one of my more proud moments. The rest of my time in Aggieland was focused on bonding with Coach and her friends who were surprisingly about as weird as her.

Fourth Stop: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I've heard a lot about BR from my friends Salsa and Grapevine. *These ridiculous names are from a summer camp called SAMBICA. It has brought me some of my best friends.* I got a hold of the director of LSU's BCM and stopped by to chat. He was a networker. I just about cried I was so excited to hear his ideas and get the connections he had for me. Random fact about me: I love networking. It's my life. That includes meeting strangers on the bus and getting their email. I've considered signing up for e-harmony just to take advantage of the network... I suppose facebook is sufficient.

Fifth Stop: New Orleans, Louisiana
We went to a great seafood place for dinner. Our waiter's name was Shane. Dad likes to ask people how he can pray for them. Shane said he needed patience. After dinner we walked around the French Quarter. This is a 20% enjoyable experience. I just about cry when I see the all the half-naked women. I think if I go to New Orlean's Seminary I will make an effort to reach out to those women. I wonder if they feel objectified or if they are just accustomed to it.
Despite the obvious discomforts of that visit, there was some great music to hear. My favorite being a ten person jazz band playing in the street led by a guy smoking a cigar and dancing around. I wish they did that at UK.


Now I'm in Brewton, Alabama for the last week before I start Acts 1:8 my summer program. I'm trying to do some BCM prep and catch-up with people but mostly spend as much time as possible with the fam. Holla.

No comments: