Sunday, January 25, 2009

Family Picnic

I went to a nearby park called La Paz Thursday with the EDGE team. I saw some kids jumping rope and thought it looked like a good opportunity so I walked up and just stood there. They asked me to join so I jumped for a while then they wanted to play soccer. This is my "in." I have found that in Latin America futbol is the key to the heart. We played until I couldn't anymore. I found out eventually that what I thought was some people hanging out at the park was actually a family picnic that I had just busted into. They had welcomed me gladly though, how strange and wonderful.
-
I've been spending a lot of time talking with my roommate Tatiana who is from Colombia. This has been the best help for my spanish. I'm so thankful for her, she is so patient and helps me out a lot. Last night she asked me what my favorite foods are and as I listed them off she would say, "Como una buena gringa(like a good american girl)" after I said hamburgers and such. She said all gringos like brownies and I considered singing, "And I'm proud to be an American cus at least we know we love BROWNIES." I refrained, people here think I'm weird enough.
-
A few days last week I ventured into a panederia(bakery) and a soda(small restaurant) to talk to people. I buy a bit of food and make small talk with the workers. The second time I went to the panederia the owner gave my friend and I a free cookie and coffee each. I also met a woman that was asking for food for she and her three children. She got a ton of bread for free from the panederia, it was cool to see how giving they were. I've forgotten the woman's name but please pray for her. I hope to see her again there and will ask her name again.
-
Shout out to Brent and here's a random pic of CR...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I laughed out loud...this is Fain...by the way...uh...glad you posted the link to this!

Emma Collins said...

Peggy! I'm so jealous that you are already in CR, having a blast. I don't leave for another month! Have fun and stay safe!

Unknown said...

i made it into your blog! yay! her name was carmen.