Saturday, January 17, 2009

Tranquilo

In orientation we learned that ticos are generally much more laid back than americans. The word they use to describe this lifestyle is tranquilo. Almost every time I've been either late or worried about something before I can get my excuse out I hear, tranquilo. It's actually fantastic.
There has been a group of around ten here at the house with me for the past two weeks. I have enjoyed hearing their stories of eye-glasses clinics and installing water purifiers. Right now they are doing disaster relief work in the area near the recent earthquake. Until they return I will be living with one other girl named Tatiana, who only speaks spanish. I'm glad to be forced to speak in spanish.
Last Thursday I went to an impoverished neighborhood called La Carpio. It was insane. There were probably fifty kids. Honestly, I don't want to go back. The kids were so rough, it made me nervous. But the more I've thought about it the more I think that is all the more reason to go. The kids loved being played with and held.

Here are some pics from my school, ending with the view.





No comments: